Monday, October 8, 2007

Memoirs

People write memoirs for a few reasons. One is to help others learn from their own life experiences. After many years of living, people have gone through many tough times, and have most likely learned from many mistakes. By writing a memoir, people can describe in detail how they have went through those times, and how they learned from their past. Then readers can learn from other people, and hopefully they will not make similar mistakes, or if they do, they will know how to deal with them.

Another reason why people write memoirs is simply to tell history from a certain point of view. For example, in Black Boy, Richard tells his story about dealing with the segregation. Any history book will tell the reader plenty of information about how miserable the lives of African Americans were before segregation was banned. However, by reading a memoir, people can relate personally to those involved, and will understand the content to a greater extent. People write memoirs because they want people to understand how their life in particular was affected by a certain event. They want others to hear their story, and be able to see an event from a stance other than the viewpoint they were introduced to in history books.

4 comments:

hailey139 said...

I also wrote that through memoirs, it helps others learn from other's experiences. I agree that reading memoirs help people from making the same mistakes that others did.

Indeed memoirs are a great way to tell one's story to an audience so that others can connect to the author.

Great job
~hailey

Ruth F said...

I love how you said that they have learned from each other's mistakes because I said that too and it is so true. I love the voice that you have in your writing, I can hear your voice from behind every word! I also liked what you said about memoirs being a way to record that past! Way to go!

lisa h. said...

I liked the point you made when you said that memoirs can help teach other through the authors mistakes. I think that is a main point of memoirs. and I also like how you gave an example from black boy, about point of view. great job!

Hannah N said...

I really liked your points about how people use memoirs for personal reflection. I used that idea in my own post. I like how you sepecified about learning from mistakes. I hadn't thought of that before and it is a really good point. Good job