Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Richard: Good or Bad?

Although Richard often does rather stupid things, such as burning down his own house and killing an innocent kitten, he isn't a bad kid. Whenever he does something that is considered bad, he feels guilty for what he did. After setting the house on fire, he thought, "I had done something wrong, something which I could not hide or deny... Perhaps everybody in the house would burn! Why had I not thought of those things before I fired the curtains?" (5). Also, he learns from his mistakes. Rather than doing the same wrong over and over, he learns that what he did was harmful, and knows that he must not do the same thing again. After writing curse words on all the neighbors' windows, and being forced by his mother to wash all the obscenities away, he thinks to himself, "Never again did I write words like that; I kept them to myself" (25). He is still young, and because his conscience has not fully developed, he has a reason for acting before considering the consequences.

Bad behavior should be blamed on a person when he or she acts and wishes for harm to come. Behavior should be blamed on environment when the person was influenced by others, when they didn't know exactly what they were doing. Richard's bad behavior was influenced by his environment. He is in fact a smart boy; he learned to count to 100 in an hour and learned to read unusually quickly (23). When he is older, he even pities his father after seeing what he has come to, even after leaving his family (34). This proves that Richard is a forgiving person at heart, and doesn't want harm to come to anyone. However, because of the segregation in Memphis and the lack of attention he receives at home, he was often naughty, even though he truly isn't a bad person.

9 comments:

Falindrith Lanthaloran said...

The lack of attention at home also brings up a certain point. If his family really didn't want him do do things like that, why didn't they tell him why what Richard did was bad? He's definitely smart enough to understand.

(Anna, do you think you should have a works cited thing? I see your citations, but what do they cite?)

Daphni said...

Another question, in your writing you say that it's not the individual's fault but the society's and the environment in general right? (I'm assuming I'm right :P) but it if that's true then does that mean that it's your parents fault if you fail a test (not you literally) ? and to what extent is that true. Is it as long as the individual is a child? is he then not considered an individual? sorry debate talk but I couldn't resist.

Daphni said...

I didn't really finish but felt bad about typing so much so I stopped myself and it might not make sense.

Falindrith Lanthaloran said...

I'm going to argue against that right now. :) And it makes enough sense to do that.

If it is society's fault, and parents are a small part of the general society, wouldn't that mean that parents are only a small part of the problem?

As to the individuality of a child part, I tent to think that children are individuals. Society (and parents) only partially shapes how that person acts. Their own beliefs define them as an individual. This applies to adults too.

Daphni said...

So even though they are not to be blamed they are a free-thinking person? What would you say being an individual means?

Falindrith Lanthaloran said...

I really like how we're having a long debate on Anna's post.

I though I answered that. An individual is a person who has their own beliefs and ideas. These ideas can be influenced by an environment. A person who is not an individual is one who is unable to form their own ideas and opinions (that does not mean that you can't agree with someone on a specific point).

And what about the question I posed in my 2nd comment? (Anna? any thoughts? :) )

Daphni said...

Ok so you're saying that everyone (both adults and children) are individuals with their own thoughts and opinions which are only partially shaped by society. If that's what you're saying then I agree because though society is not to be completely blamed for the actions of the people in that society. it is responsible for some mindsets and preconceptions, but not the actions themselves.

I don't think that makes sense. But if you're saying that it's part society's part the individual's fault then I agree.

Falindrith Lanthaloran said...

I have a feeling that we've both been saying the same things.

"But if you're saying that it's part society's part the individual's fault then I agree."

I'm saying yes to that, but with some exceptions (like Richard being a drunk at 6 because he had no idea what he was doing). :)

Julia H said...

I agree with your idea of Richard not being "bad" but in someways I think he is. On the other hand we all are because we all do stuff that we know is bad like when Richard hangs the kitten to prove a point to his father. Overall I think that Richard is good and that he has a good heart.